Rarely has not winning been so thoroughly relished by so many, as the Miami Heat blow a 2-1 lead in losing to the Dallas Mavericks in six games. For those (e.g. embittered Celtics fans like myself) who just can’t get enough Big Three schadenfreude, some recommended links:
- A droll play-play-play by The Wall Street Journal’s liveblogging team (scribes Kevin Clark and Jason Gay with actress Mindy Kaling) from Sunday night’s Game 6;
- Steve Rosenberg of The Chicago Tribune: “Say this for the Miami Hate: Nobody is better at celebrating when nothing has been accomplished.”
- Unloveable Dallas owner Mark Cuban erasing the goodwill earned by his classy deferral of the trophy (to original Mavs owner Don Carter) by unleashing gleeful H-bombs and S-bombs in later interviews;
- Lebron James showing off his inner elitist in a postgame interview, in response to a provocative question about fans who enjoy seeing the mighty crestfallen: “At the end of the day they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today. They have the same personal problems they had today.”
- And here, a Miami columnist responds: “Thousands of Ramons will cook and serve meals, one of which Lebron James might eat and leave a measly tip, and some Cristobal might be doing a little upgrade to Lebron's big ’ole mansion so he can make the rent, and just maybe he’ll be listening to the radio and humming along, before sharing a laugh with the maid who took the bus to clean up after King James.”
- The end of Game 6 here, for the moment, on YouTube... Unfortunately this does not include the shot of unctuous ex-coach Jeff Van Gundy and the rest of the ESPN color commentators (with their annoying habit of layering irrelevant, extended anecdotes over the action) looking totally deflated as the Mavs clinched—and the NBA’s Heat hypemachine ground to a halt.
- And a corny NBA highlight mini-movie for the truly obsessed.