This photo was found at The Blue Comet, a railroad enthusiast’s webpage. It shows the Hudson railway station as it appeared prior to its renovation c. 1990-92, when the porch roofs and other details were reinstated to reflect the station’s original look.
Guessing from some of the cars in the picture, it would appear to date from sometime in the mid-1980s. The restoration of the station (built by the New York Central Railroad in 1874) is one of the few public projects in the City that was really top-notch.
UPDATE: Dennis Kosovac pointed out the website of the architects responsible for the restoration, John G. Waite Associates, which has a brief run-down of their approach:
Because the building’s condition had deteriorated significantly, Amtrak, the Urban Mass Transit Authority, the New York State Department of Transportation and the City of Hudson combined efforts to fund a major restoration of the station.
John Waite served as architect for the project, which included a complete restoration of the station building, rebuilding of the passenger platforms, and the construction of a new 150-space parking lot.
The exterior of the building was restored to its historic appearance with the addition of a metal canopy, polychrome slate roof, ornamental iron roof crestings, and corbelled brick chimney.
The restoration also repaired severely deteriorated brickwork and installed a new sheet-lead damp course to prevent future damage from moisture migration (rising damp). Interior work included expanding the passenger waiting area, construction of a new ticketing facility and baggage room, restoring plaster surfaces and woodwork and installing accessible toilet facilities.
Carole Osterink has supplied these two additional views of the Hotel Portland (see previous item) which formerly occupied the corner of 1st and Warren Streets in Hudson. The two shots appear to be from a later date, as a corner entrance and storefront have been added to the façade. These can also be found in Byrne Fone’s Historic Hudson: An Architectural Portrait, for sale locally at The Spotty Dog.
This hotel/rooming house (photographed here c. 1905) once stood at the corner of 1st and Warren streets in Hudson.
It was among nearly an entire block of buildings demolished with Urban Renewal funds, administered by then-HCDPA director Bill Loewenstein—to make way for a supermarket, designed by Lew Kremer, which never materialized. Today, the resulting low-slung and generic structure serves as the Hudson branch of COARC. Urban renewal’s offices were across the street in my old place, the Curtiss House, at 32 Warren.