The faces of the FOX News anchors were ashen around 11:15 pm as they dutifully announced the projection—already aired on MSNBC—that Barack Obama would be reëlected President for a second four-year term.
Meanwhile, several Republican nominees running in Columbia County were ahead of their Democratic opponents. According to published reports as of midnight:
- McLaughlin leads Roberts by about 3,000 votes for State Assembly;
- Marchione leads Andrews by about 11,000 votes for State Senate;
- Gibson leads Schreibman by about 14,000 votes for the U.S. House;
On the brighter side for Dems:
- Mott is far ahead for State Supreme Court Judge, with Schick holding an 8,000 vote lead over the closest Republican challenger;
- The Poughkeepsie Journal reports that Didi Barrett won comfortably in Dutchess County, while The Times-Union shows Barrett with a smaller lead in Columbia County, indicating an overall win.
There are absentee ballots and some precincts yet to report in all of these races, but they seem unlikely to change the outcome of these races.
South of us, Terry Gipson has declared victory over longtime incumbent Steve Saland for State Senate.